This Automation Selenium tutorial covers below topics
- What is Automation
- Purpose of Automation Testing
- Why Automation is Required
- Pre Automation Requirements
- What to Automate
- When to Automate
- When we cannot Automate
- Advantages of Automation
- Selection of an automation tool
- Various Automation Tools
- Why Selenium
It is the process of instructing a tool to perform operation application under test rather than a human being doing it.
Here software testing assisted with software tools that require no operator input , analysis or evaluation.
Purpose of Automation Testing
Every organization has unique reasons for automating software quality activities, but several reasons are common across industries :
- Improves efficiency of testing
- Reducing Testing costs
- Replicating testing across different platforms
- To gives consistent and accurate results
Why Automation is required
- Reducing test time and resources.
- Consistent Test Procedures: Ensures process repeatability and resource independence, eliminates errors of manual testing.
- When there is no time and it is applicable for large applications.
- For doing tedious work
- Pre Automation Requirement
- Identify the test cases that covers the functionalities of each module
- Identify what can be tested and what cannot be tested
- Plan the flow of control and sequence of steps
- Decide the repository format to be used
What to Automate
- Tests that will be run many times.
- Regression testing , covering main functionality of the application
- Tests that will be run with different sets of data
When We can automate
- Test cases that needs to be run for every build.
- Tests that require execution of multiple data called parameterization.
- Identical test cases which have to be executed on different hardware configurations.
- When the Application under manual test is stable
When not to automate
- It cannot be used when the functionality of the application changes frequently .
- Automation testing cannot be used in usability type of testing.
- When the project doesn’t have enough time.
- Test with unknown results cannot be automated.
- It increases the speed of testing process.
- It provides reusable tests that can be run multiple times with different sets of data to give consistent accurate results.
- To do tedious work.
- Ability to test without any human interaction.
- For Load and Stress testing.
Selection of an automation tool
- Choosing an automated software testing tool is an important step,
- Generally a good tool should:
- Test all functions.
- It should have good debugging facilities.
- It should have a clear help file and a user manual.
Selection of an automation tool
- There are also several key issues, which should be addressed when selecting an application testing solution, which are given below:
- Test Planning and Management Testing
- Product Integration
- Internet/Intranet Testing
- Ease of Use GUI and Client/Server
- Testing Load and Performance Testing
Various Automation Tools
Selenium contains Rich set of testing functions specifically geared to the needs of testing of web applications of all types
These operations are highly flexible, allowing many options for locating UI elements and comparing expected test results against actual application behavior
Advantages of Selenium
- Support for executing one’s tests on multiple browser platforms.
- Supporting Multiple Platforms
- Flexibility and Extensibility
- Open Source tool
- Easy to learn and maintain
Components of Selenium
Selenium is composed of multiple software tools. Each has a specific role
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium RC
- Selenium Grid
- Web Driver
Selenium IDE(Integrated Development Environment)
- The Selenium-IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is the tool you use to develop your Selenium test cases.
- It’s an easy-to-use Firefox plug-in and is generally the most efficient way to develop test cases.
- It is the basic tool for the Selenium which can be used as a starting tool for record and play back the test scripts
- It supports only one browser
Selenium Grid is used to test the application in multiple browser in multiple platforms at a time
Also Read First Script in Selenium