Introduction to Selenium IDE:
The Selenium-IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is
- Firefox extension tool
- IDE for Selenium Tests
- Auto complete common selenium commands
- Record & Playback
- Save/Export/Load tests
- Export tests in different formats like HTML, Java etc.
- The tests can then be run against most modern web browsers(IE, Chrome,Safari)
- Selenium deploys on Windows, Linux, and Macintosh platforms.
- It is open-source software
Installing Selenium IDE:
Step1: Using Firefox, first, download the IDE from the SeleniumHQ downloads page
When downloading from Firefox, you’ll be presented with the following window.
Step2: Select Install Now.
The Firefox Add-ons window pops up, first showing a progress bar, and when the download is complete, displays the following.
Opening Selenium IDE:
To run the Selenium-IDE, simply select it from the Firefox Tools menu. It opens as follows with an empty script-editing window and a menu for loading, or creating new test cases.
If you are using latest Firefox browser, we can see selenium IDE indexed under menu bar -> Web Developer -> Selenium IDE. Or see a small icon(below marked) in tool bar.
A test suite is a collection of tests. Often one will run all the tests in a test suite as one continuous batch-job.
When using Selenium-IDE, test suites also can be defined using a simple HTML file. The syntax again is simple. An HTML table defines a list of tests where each row defines the filesystem path to each test.
Steps for creating test suite:
- Create more Tc’s save each Test Case with <.html> extension.
- Open Firefox
- Open Tools à Selenium IDE
- File à Open à new Test Suite
- File à Open à Add Test cases
- Add more test cases
- Save Suite with <.Html> extensions.
You can change the name of the test cases, Add, Remove, and Rename test cases and Arrange order of test cases.
Useful Selenium FireFox Add-ONS:
- Chris Pederick’s Web Developer toolbar
- Xpath Checker
- Regular Expressions Tester
- Web Developer
- HTML Validator
- DOM Inspector
There are a number of useful extensions created by users.
Perhaps the most popular of all Selenium-IDE extensions is one which provides flow control in the form of while loops and primitive conditionals. This extension is the goto_sel_ide.js.
- Download goto_sel_ide.js file.
- Save into selenium core extensions folder
- Selenium-IDE’s Options=>Options=>General tab
- Browse extension file